Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Monday July 25 - Prince George, BC to Fort Langley, BC

Got up early this morning with the plan of not wasting any time and getting to the Vancouver area before dark.  So much for plans but I did make it to Vancouver/Fort Langley.

There was just so much to see again today and I made more than a few stops.   Two cool places were Fort Alexandria, the remains of an 1800s British outpost during the gold rush and the Mile 130 Roadhouse which also had buildings from the late 1800s.   I love history stuff.

Not much in the way of animals today other than horses and cows.    I did accidentally get a picture of a deer when zooming in on a small lake and saw some kind of  wolverine looking thing (there was actually a highway sign warning of crossing and there it was about a mile after the sign).   No bears :-(

The landscape here in middle and lower BC is quite different than what it is in the north with meadows full of grazing livestock.   Lumber is king here,  I went through at least two towns with huge mills and lumber trucks constantly going up and down the highway.    The yards at the mills had literally acres of stacked 2X4's and stacks of raw tree trunks.

The road thru the Frasier Canyon with the river below was spectacular and one rapids section had waves that were higher than I have seen on the ocean on a cruise.    There were a number of tunnels cut, lots of narrow winding curves and there were trail tracks on both sides of the river and there was no shortage of trains going in either direction.    On the top of one summit I ran into the "Gates of Hell" sky tram and on another the "Elvis in the Canyon" Cafe.

After the trip thru the canyon which takes a few hours,  I hit Canada Rte one and it was about 40 minutes to Fort Langley.

Talked to Russ and John tonight.    Russ in on Vancouver Island (Victoria, BC?) and John is about 575 miles behind me in Prince George.    Russ will be going to Seattle tomorrow and trying to hook up with me in Washington.   John plans to put it into high gear and make it to Bellingham, WA tomorrow.

My plans are to tour the Fort Langley National Historic Site in the morning then head to the border and Mt Saint Hellens and Mt Rainier  in Washington then off to Oregon and Mt Hood and the lava fields before heading home.

Along the way.............
























Fort Alexandria


Trains

The Lumber Industry is King here in BC




1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post
    view our range

    ReplyDelete